Friday, August 8, 2014

Week 4--Ludicolo: Singing (and Dancing) in the Rain

Ludicolo
Pokemon of the Week is brought to you by Pokemon Masters--Battle & Trade. Look us up on Facebook for more Pokemon related entertainment and information!
Vulpix says:
Lotad was one of the first pokemon that I ever caught on my Pokemon Sapphire game. I thought that its typing was pretty interesting, and on my first playthroughs I always like to play blank slates. I don’t look up stats online, I don’t research which moves it will learn and when… I just like to wing it. I set up a type balance on my team and I don’t switch anything up unless it’s not working out. This was how I met Ludicolo. All in all, he wasn’t a bad Pokemon.

Good Guy Ludicolo
Ludicolo has average, balanced base stats (80/70/70/90/100/70). It sounds boring, unimpressive, and unlikely to be the top of the list in any singular stat, but the beauty of balanced Pokemon is that they don’t topple over like glass cannons, and don’t have flimsy weapons, either. With a good nature and well-placed EVs, a balanced Pokemon can be a good allstar on any team. My Nidoqueen, for example, can survive almost any hit, and still hits pretty strongly as well.

I confess I’ve never used him in competitive battling, as I’m still fairly new to competition, but I can see how his abilities and interesting typing could be useful. In this regard, I will let our good buddy Raikou explain it best. As for me, I’d likely add Ludicolo to a Rain Dance team and use Rain Dish.



Raikou says:
Raikou is here to give you updates on this PotW. It just so happens to be that crazy dancer who seems like a drunken fool, Ludicolo.

Now this pokémon has always been somewhat of a powerhouse due to its abilities, typing, and decent base stats. Most of its real uses are on Rain Teams, which as always been one for my favorites themes.

Rain Wall/Forever Life (Ludicolo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 200 hp / 196 Def / 52 Sp Atk / 60 Sp Def
Bold
- Scald
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Giga Drain

This set has one main job, and that is to stall out someone, and even counter other rain teams. This set intends for Ludicolo to take most any hit, (aside from Physical flying hits that is) as well as be able to keep itself alive for a long, long, long, long, ect. time. You can opt in for Hydro Pump over Scald for more damage, but Scald is better because of its 100% hit, and that chance to inflict burn status. Just imagine its their last poke against this thing, and if things go right, you can get Leech Seed, burn damage, and be Giga Draining a pokemon till their health runs out, while yours is constantly growing.

NOPE!

Assault Vest Power House (Ludicolo) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 152 HP / 120 Def / 94 Sp Atk / 16 Sp Def / 128 Spe
Modest
- Hydro Pump
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

This set here is one of my personal set ups, as well as one of my favorites for him. This spread gives him decent coverage all around defensively and offensively. Not only are you maximizing on his dual STAB with some powerful moves, but you are getting good coverage with Ice Beam, and Fake out is always nice to break Sash's and give you some first turn damage advantage. In VGC this set did me loads of justice because it could deal out decent damage to just about anything aside from B.B. TalonFlame(gale wings), and Mega-Venusaur. On this set I prefer Hydro for damage output, but once again Scald is always a nice option.




Speedy Power (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp Def
Modest
- Focus Blast/Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump/Scald/Surf
- Ice Beam/Protect

Here is where we see Ludi, just using its solid stat base, and awesome Swift Swim ability, to its max to deal heavy damage to everything it can get its hands on. For the water STAB you can choose between any of the 3 listed for good power, it all boils down to preference in the end. There isn't much that can take a Life Orb, Rain Boosted any of those three. It just boils down to what will work best for your team. I, once again, opt in for Scald just because if I run into a special wall at all, getting that burn residual damage is always nice.

You can't even handle your own life. What makes you think you could handle mine? 

The great thing about Ludicolo is that he is so very versatile and can be used under almost any setting. Another fun option in doubles is to open up with Scarf Politoed, Absorb Bulb Ludi, and turn one Surf with Poli, get the boost to Ludi's Sp Atk as well as Swift Swim boost. You can wreck everything. He can do so much, and can honestly fit on most any team. If you are looking for a great pokemon for your rain team, a counter for a rain team, or just a pokemon with a lot of possibilities, I recommend Ludi for the slot. Keep him in mind when building teams and you can't go wrong! Raikou over and out!

Not only that, guess who's always ready to party?
THIS GUY.




No comments:

Post a Comment